Friday, September 20, 2013

In Memory of Anthony ‘Lil Tone’ Medearis Jr.

Eternal. Photo by John Vias (Berkeleyside, May 19, 2011)


The early morning's already burned
So I'll stay up late to write.

I wish I could make coffee
eat schniken
smell the morning air.

But I'll be like night, I'll respect my hosts.
Tonight the neighbors on Francisco Street are having a party.
At least it makes me feel better to think of them as neighbors but who knows
could be strangers.

Everyone's a little scared since that 3rd close murder right by Centro Vida.
Two days later I rode past the daycare. The children
still loudly playing in their yard. Shouldn't there be an announcement of some kind?
"A man died here, the flowers aren't yet wilted. Everyone get on bullet proof fences
the redwood won't protect the children
loudly playing here."

No comments:

Post a Comment